From across the water

The lives and love of a Dutch girl in the UK.

Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Bureacracy

Today was another day of official stuff, much like the job interview and going to the bank to get an account sorted. Today, I went to get my National Insurance Number.

Or so I thought.

The night before, I read the letter they sent me again, just to make sure I had everything they wanted me to bring. Valid ID card, check. Proof of address, check. Proof of actively seeking or having work, check. Just to be on the safe side, I also took my birthcertificate and my driving licence. And Tyronne took his passport and licence too, just to prove he is who I say he is.

We got about 20 minutes too early, which was good as there was no where to park and we had to walk a fair bit. We were asked to take a seat, and about two minutes later someone came to take my documents so she could copy them.

When finally it was time for my interview, the first thing the lady said was 'I'm going to give you an envelope because you do not have all the documents we need to get you your National Insurance Number.' Umm, excuse me? 'We need more proof that you're actively seeking work. I appreciate you having signed up with the nanny agency, but we need at least one more letter to confirm you're looking for work or have actually found a job.' Right. She explained that even an email saying my email or letter had arrived would be proof enough. And I have to get this proof in within 5 working days.

She filled out the form as if I had all the documents she needed, I even had to give her a date of my very first time to the UK (I think it was 2002, but I'm not exactly sure), I signed the papers, and she then put it all in a file, telling me again that I needed to get my proof in within 5 working days.

What really really really gets to me... I checked everything I needed to bring today. If they had said, look, you need to have at least two types of proof that you're looking for a job, then I would've had two types of proof today. Now I need to hurry up and get some, send off the proof, and then there will be someone on their end who gets the envelop on his or her desk, has to read it, find my file, put it in there, and send it off again. That's someone doing a job they should not have to be doing if they had told me what I needed to bring in the first place. Lovely. And would you believe it takes six to eight weeks before I get my National Insurance Number as it is, and at least two months more until I get the actual card......

Bureaucracy, isn't it just lovely?

2 Comments:

  • At 12:12 AM, Blogger Lucienne said…

    It is just as bed in NL, only there you have been in the system since birth. Although I had less problems down under than the hubby, who was born here. I got a taxfile nr right away and he had to wait 5 weeks ....
    Good luck!

     
  • At 8:47 AM, Blogger Wicca'd Witch said…

    Welcome to the Department Of Work and Pensions. In fact, the WHOLE of the DSS. Aren't they simply wonderful?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home